Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Turn Me: Maryland Avenue doorknob

Turn me. 4x5” acrylic on canvas 

Originally painted as part of the Maryland Avenue event portion of Paint Annapolis 2022, I thought that with such a little canvas it would be fun to find a small architectural detail to highlight, something that would otherwise be overlooked, and voila—I found this gorgeous door knob with a beautiful grain to it contrasting with the many-layered paint of its door. 

Turn Me took every bit as long for me to do as as a larger painting would. Like I like to say, it’s just that the brushes are smaller. I took some artistic license with the color of the left door once which improved the image significantly over the more accurate beige/tan/cream.

I also tried something new with the frame  I’ve used these little gold frames before, but this time I wanted a floater-style frame that does not cover any of the canvas. So I put the canvas into the frame backwards, making the back of the frame the front  I hand-leafed the sides in (faux) gold and painted the new front black to contrast with the sides and canvas. I am quite pleased with the result.

 I see this quirky little painting as a fun element for a bathroom or nook and a unique momento of Annapolis for the right person. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be posted after approval by the administrator….